Octopus Hydrogen produces and supplies Green Hydrogen; in doing so we are supporting the worldwide sustainable energy transition.
We are an owner-operator of Green Hydrogen production, storage, distribution and dispensing assets. Our fixed infrastructure is under development in a distributed approach across the UK, strategically located to optimise for energy and distribution costs.
We run an in-house EPC capability responsible for delivering capital assets that underpin our business operations. Self-delivery in this manner enables full control over the project lifecycle and maximum efficiency in how we engineer, procure and construct.
Our product offering is in demand and we are expanding our capability; if you are interested in becoming part of the Octopus Hydrogen story, please review the vacant role specification below; we welcome applications to join us at an exciting time in our growth.
The role of Project Engineer incorporates responsibilities across project management, technical and commercial disciplines.
Working towards specified capital project outcomes, Project Engineers are responsible for delivering engineering design, procurement and construction of Octopus Hydrogen capital assets.
The successful applicant will be expected to:
- Manage projects, deliver effectively engineered solutions, to cost and schedule;
- Produce technical, project and commercial documentation throughout all project phases;
- Manage supply chain partners in the production of technical, project and commercial documentation throughout all project phases;
- Work both remotely and co-located with colleagues;
- Be independently driven and enjoy sole accountabilities;
- Join the Octopus Hydrogen Engineering Function at a time when we are executing on 5 capital build projects, all at different stages of development, with more in the pipeline.
Head of Development or Head of Delivery (depending on project phase).
Engineering designers, finance and commercial teams, project managers, supplier commercial & contract managers, construction & commissioning managers, landlords, other project stakeholders, etc.
Specification of Responsibilities:
Fundamentally, you will be relied upon for predictable delivery of capital build projects. In doing so, your activities will include but not be limited to:
- Creation, management and presentation of project management data such as cost and schedule estimates/trackers, risk registers, document trackers, etc;
- Creation of specifications and purchase orders for contracted goods and services;
- Management of goods and services contracts;
- Attendance, record keeping and chairing of technical, commercial and project management meetings;
- Attendance at development build sites, supplier offices/factories, delivery partner offices, Octopus Hydrogen work spaces, etc;
- Quality control of technical, commercial and project management data;
- Contribution to engineering design, technical specification and other pre-construction information as appropriate to experience and aptitude;
- Authoring of engineering design, technical specification and pre-construction information as appropriate to experience and aptitude;
- Development and management of quality processes and procedures as part of a quality management system;
- Contribute to the scaling of the Octopus Hydrogen Engineering functional capability in line with company aspirations.
Sought Qualifications, Experience & Mindset:
- Education and experience in a STEM specialism;
- Education and experience in construction or manufacturing industries;
- A willingness to develop a technical understanding of Green Hydrogen infrastructure;
- Demonstrable aptitude in written and verbal communication;
- Preference to a varied workload;
- Preference to sole accountability and continued professional development;
- Willingness to travel internationally;
- Willingness to work both remotely and co-located.
- 37.5 hours per week with flexible working times subject to project needs;
- 26 days annual leave plus bank holidays;
- Employment contract based on a ‘working from home’ basis;
- Weekly working from home;
- Weekly co-working from locations around Greater Manchester (travel expenses paid);
- Monthly site and supplier visits (nation-wide travel; some international travel; travel expenses paid).
Employment Benefits Included:
- £46-56k salary, dependent on experience and aptitude;
- Octopus Energy Hydrogen Ltd share options, dependent on experience and aptitude;
- Pension contributions;
- Flexible working hours and the chance for a work-life balance that works for you;
- Funding and guidance regarding CPD;
- Opportunity to dictate career direction;
- A chance to join the Octopus Hydrogen story in its early stages.
- Applications closing date: 27/01/2023;
- Interviews: Initial VCs February 2023;
- Final Stage F2F Interviews: February thru’ March 2023;
- Offers: March 2023.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that minority groups are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Octopus Hydrogen we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic organisation. If you’re excited about this opportunity but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with the role specification, we encourage you to apply in any case. You may be just the right fit for Octopus Hydrogen.
- Do you have a valid UK driver's licence? [Must answer ‘Yes’]
- Will you now or in the future require sponsorship for UK employment visa status? [Must answer ‘No’]